Date: 9/15/20 10:51 am
From: Eve Meier <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Rock Wrens and Lark Sparrows at Rancho San Vicente
Yay! The AQI is below 150 this morning. I headed out to one of my
favorite locations: Rancho San Vicente entrance to Calero Creek County
Park (off of McKean Rd in San Jose). I hadn't been in ages between COVID
crowds, the heat, then the smoke. This morning, there were only a few cars
in the parking lot and the weather was still cool as I walked along the
Lisa Killough Trail.

WESTERN MEADOWLARKS were singing from the grasses around the parking lot.
I spotted LARK SPARROWS in a berry bush near a sweep between intersections
30 and 62 on the park map (link below). Also along this stretch of the
trail I spotted my first two ROCK WRENS. I turned right at intersection
intersection 30. This part of the trail has lots of scattered rocks on
which I found more ROCK WRENS and RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS. There were
several AMERICAN KESTREL hunting in the area and one GOLDEN EAGLE flew by
as I was returning to the parking lot.

ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73632277
park map:
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Documents/CaleroOSAGuideMap.pdf