Date: 9/15/20 10:48 am
From: Patience Chamberlin <patiencechamberlin...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Merlin, Odiorne SP
I had the good fortune of watching a Merlin fly in with prey, perch on a snag in the marsh across from the first south pullout, and proceed to eat it entirely, plucked feathers flying off in the breeze. It took about 1/2 hour, then it flew off. I suspect the prey was a shorebird, as the legs were quite long. But not yellow...

The rest of the morning was spent walking through Odiorne SP, which was not nearly as exciting. Standouts among the usuals were good numbers of Red breasted nuthatches, 10 conservatively, and Red-eyed Vireos - 6.
A handful of frustrating warblers, mostly obscured, moving fast high in the trees. I have no idea.

And yes, that is smoke from the west making the hazy day.

Patience Chamberlin
New Castle