Date: 9/15/20 10:40 am
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Immature Little Blue Heron in San Diego Creek in Irvine
Hi Will,

As you know, the separation of Snowy Egret and Little Blue Heron juveniles
can be very tricky. In my view, the yellow-green lores, yellow legs, and
relatively slim bill look better for Snowy. Further, there appear to be
downy feathers on the crown, implying that this is a recently fledged
(local) bird. With tricky birds like this one, it is best to await an
opportunity to photograph the tips of the outer primaries. Darkish tips
would be diagnostic of a Little Blue Heron.

regards, Jim Pike
HB