Date: 9/15/20 6:59 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (14 Sep 2020) 442 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 14, 2020

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 9 53 53
Bald Eagle 11 50 50
Northern Harrier 2 15 15
Sharp-shinned Hawk 48 140 140
Cooper's Hawk 7 20 20
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 4 4
Broad-winged Hawk 328 1697 1697
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 25 88 88
Merlin 3 28 28
Peregrine Falcon 0 1 1
Unknown Accipiter 2 3 3
Unknown Buteo 0 4 4
Unknown Falcon 0 2 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 7 25 25

Total: 442 2130 2130

Observation start time: 07:45:00
Observation end time: 16:45:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Levi Burford

Observers: Judd Nathan, Karen Kambol, Mark Timmerman, Mike Gebo,
Nora Hanke, Peter Kambol, Tom Delaney, with many more...

Visitors:
34 visitors today. Most folks hung out and watched the birds that were
closer to the watch. A lot of observation help, we maxed out the platform
once again.

Weather:
A brisk north wind rose to the middle of the day and then receded a little
through the end of the day. The cumulus clouds, numerous at times were a
great backdrop against which we were able to spot the migrant raptors.

Raptor Observations:
It was a good day of raptor migration by the hawk watch platform. Birds
were mostly spread out in the wind. I feel like we earned that 450+/-
birds. The largest kettle of Broad-winged Hawks was 32 with some in the
process of feeding from another to the north.

The two Northern Harriers were both juveniles.

Non-migrants observed today were 4 Turkey Vultures, and 3 Red-tailed Hawks.

Non-raptor Observations:
With the wind it was a tough day for non-raptors around the platform. We
did observe the following migrants:
11 Canada Geese
3 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

2 White-winged Crossbills were observed early, flying over the back of the
platform.

The rest were just a smattering of Black-capped Chickadees, Dark-eyed
Juncos, and Red-breasted Nuthatches. Yellow-rumps held down the warbler
family.

35 Monarch Butterflies streaked by the watch as fast as the Kestrels.

Predictions:
Tuesday looks like an amazing day in the morning. We didn't have a strong
push late in the day yesterday so I am not sure whether it will start
early. Looks like the wind will shift a little but will remain light
through the day. We'll see what this means for birds heading south.

Wednesday's weather looks a little less encouraging with strong southwest
winds but it looks to set us up for Thursday with west winds and then a
stretch of three days from Friday to Sunday with light northern winds.
Overall, an encouraging forecast. We'll see if it rings true.
Report submitted by Levi Burford (<lbburford...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320