Date: 9/15/20 6:59 am
From: Haninah Levine <haninah...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Totten Park mini-fallout
Hi gang,

Hat-tip to Birdcast - following up on their prediction of heavy overnight
movement, I went out to Fort Totten Park this morning to see what turned
up. Around 7:15, a flock of several dozen migrants materialized in a couple
of trees along the edge of the northern lawn. I had trouble keeping up, but
I can say with confidence that I saw Black-and-white, Black-throated green,
and Northern parula warblers, a Redstart, and several Red-eyed vireos, as
well as large numbers of Empidonax flycatchers. Here is what I saw that I'm
not confident on the ID for:

- Yellowish warbler with gray, barred wings, pale undersides, and
red-streaked sides - any tips on how to decide if it was a Chestnut-sided
or a Bay-breasted? I got a pretty clear view, but I'm having trouble
figuring out distinguishing field marks for these two species in autumn.
- Yellowish warbler-like bird with slate-gray head - at the time I
thought it was a Blue-headed vireo, which were abundant here in the early
spring, but looking at pictures, I think there was more yellow overall than
on a BHVI, and I'm wondering if it was a Tennessee warbler, or something
else.
- Solidly yellow warbler with gray, barred wings, no pale undersides or
red streaks - likely a Blue-winged warbler, but can't rule out a Pine or
Prothonotary warbler (both less likely based on habitat).

Thanks,

Haninah