Date: 9/15/20 3:43 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (14 Sep 2020) 50 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Jeff & Jill Kennardy
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly-Mostly Sunny (50-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 67 - 77F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (74).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Sept. 10, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Bucktoe was not as good today, but how could it be? It was still terrific,
mind you; just not stupendous as it was yesterday. Still, I saw a close
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, 3 Ravens, lots of Black-and-white Warblers,
Parula, Redstarts, and a nice assortment of migrating hawks. Not bad,
right? In fact, it was terrific, just not stupendous. Jeff & Jill were
out as part of their check of nest boxes along the creeks. They saw
several Screech Owls. At 12:42, an immature Red-headed Woodpecker flew
right by the Hawk Watch, settling at the woods at the parking lot. It was
heard there throughout the afternoon. A while later, a Common Nighthawk
was feeding over the meadow, while 3 Common Ravens were noisily harassing a
Red-tailed Hawk right overhead. Getting kinda close to stupendous again,
don’t you think? [Additional highlights listed below]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawk, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Red-headed Woodpecker,
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Common Ravens, Veery, Bobolinks, Black-and-white
Warblers, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, Scarlet
Tanagers, and Indigo Buntings
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (14): Monarch - 9, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Silver-spotted Skipper, Red Admiral, Cloudless Sulphur, Azure.
Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.44; Steps:
15,106; Floors: 11.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 56; this season:
100
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Red-headed Woodpecker .
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good with plenty of background clouds and light
and shifting winds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, 9am
thru 3pm. Rain or shine. Additionally, thru Sept. 3, I will be here 5pm
till dark for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: