Date: 9/15/20 3:14 am
From: Ian Worley <iworley...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Whip-poor-wills departing last night on migration from Weybridge site?
Each year of late, I've tried to determine when the Whip-poor-wills of
the Snake Mountain Road, Weybridge site depart on migration. Last night
could have been a departure night. Indeed I only heard briefly one
individual.  I'll keep checking until a few visits yield no Whip-poor-wills.

Here is the checklist link:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S73607883

The annotation in the checklist is:
/
//Listening for owls and whips. No solicitations made. intermittent
light breeze from the north.. Cooling rapidly.. Clear sky. Listening
stops at known Whip-poor-will locations throughout this year. //
//
//All local conditions favored a likely migration departure of the
multiple Whip-poor-wills at this Snake Mountain Road, Weybridge site.
Knowing that conditions were favorable for the birds to depart on
migration, and it was at or near the end of the season for them, my plan
was to get to as many of the several calling locations along the 1.8
mile stretch from which they are heard. The most likely time to hear
them this late in the year is in the near vicinity of the end of Civil
Twilight, which was at 7:35pm last night.  Also, any calling was likely
to be but a single call lasting only 2-3 seconds. Ideally there would be
listeners stationed all along the route, but since it was just me, I
would be moving quickly between listening stops.  After no birds heard
at the first, and most likely stop for hearing one or two
whip-poor-wills, I proceeded with the plan.  Several brief stops later,
at a known location 0.4 miles south of the intersection with Prunier
Road, way west of the road I heard a single two-second call (two
"whip-poor-will" calls in sequence).  Nothing heard elsewhere.  I'll
keep listening for several more days to see whether some of all of the
birds have departed, until I have 2-3 nights with just silence. //
//
//The latest dates I have for Whip-poor-wills at this site are Sept 22nd
(2019), Sept 20th (2015), Sept 18th (2018), and Sept 16th (2016).  The
latest records in eBird for Vermont are three September 21st dates:
Rutland (1918) and Newbury (1994, 1995).//
//
//The BirdCast forecast for migrations last night was:  "The BirdCast
model is predicting high intensity migration for the night of 14
September 2020. We estimate that 405 million birds will take flight
tonight across the lower 48, including 50 million birds in the northeast
alone. This will likely represent one of the largest migration nights of
the year in this region. (Those in the northeast should keep a close eye
on the nights of 17-19 September as well.)

/Ian/
/Ian Worley
Cornwall/
/