Date: 9/15/20 12:43 am
From: SeEttaM <seettam...>
Subject: [cobirds] Campaign to eradicate tamarisk & Russian Olive
Pat Hayward remarked about the efforts to remove Russian olive trees. Colo
Parks and Wildlife began a campaign to eradicate Russian olive and
Tamarisk from state parks and wildlife area in 2014. Also Colorado
extension services has prioritized removal of these two tree species from
both and private lands across the state.

These removal efforts have run into problems when they schedule removal
from areas with significant bird habitat during nesting season (eg,
Arkansas Valley Audubon Society intervened at Pueblo State Parks a few
years ago). In 2016 I intervened (at the time I was on the Arkansas Basin
Roundtable) to avoid all of the tamarisk and Russian olive being removed
from Two Buttes black hole right before the Colorado Field Ornithologist
Convention in Lamar (few trees would have remained).

I have worked with my local extension service and found them receptive of
explanations about avoiding removal during nesting season as most seem to
have no education about birds. I would encourage birders to find out what
local bird Hotspots are planned for eradication of these trees and work
with local government organizations to avoid impacts on birds.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City