Date: 9/14/20 6:01 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (14 Sep 2020) 11891 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 11891 13588 13588

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Noel Herdman

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
We were expecting a day of bright blue sky with no cloud cover, instead we
were met with a very hazy day, and a gray sky which made finding hawks
difficult and hard on the eyes. However, we were fortunate to have steady
Northern winds blowing all day long.

Raptor Observations:
Hello Broad-winged Hawk migration!! Today we counted 11,412 individuals
migrating over the tower, most kettles looking like specks into the sky. As
we were about to lose hope on seeing any big movements, kettles started to
form in the early afternoon. Most formed above Lake Erie and were pushed
back towards land. We decided to stay an extra hour to count as the hawks
did not stop until around 4:30 when they all suddenly disappeared.
Of course we were also joined by many Sharp-shinned Hawks, Turkey Vultures,
and American Kestrels. A few Merlins, Northern Harriers, Red-tailed Hawks,
Cooper's Hawks, and a Peregrine Falcon also made appearances in between the
frenzy of Broad-winged Hawks.

Non-raptor Observations:
Another great day for warblers as we counted 16 species including a Palm
Warbler, Cape May Warblers, and Black-throated Blue Warblers.
Whimbrels, Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers were spotted flying over the
marsh, passing the Great Egrets and the Black-crowned Night-Herons.
Today's highlight came from a Great Blue Heron deciding to come stand on
the railing at the top of the tower and watch the counter for 30 minutes
before flying off. Needless to say, many photos were taken!
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73607110

Predictions:
Tomorrow the winds are expected to turn to the South, which most likely
means our luck with Broad-winged Hawks has run out for the time being. We
may spot a few more kettles, but they will likely be for North of the
tower. We hope they haze will clear and that we will keep counting
Sharp-shinned Hawks, American Kestrels, and a few more Broad-winged Hawks

Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<904b444468743868277e564c816a4ebd...>