Date: 9/14/20 7:22 am
From: 'Russ Ruffing' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] any research on migrant traps?
My 5.5 acre yard adjacent to Patapsco State Park In Howard County is a high point more or less, and has been a fantastic location for migrants over the years. My morning yard surveys during migration routinely match or exceed the numbers and diversity of known locations like Rock Creek and Wheaton, and most times it’s just me surveying vs multiple birders at those locations. Over the years I’ve noticed that birds tend to be flying up from the Patapsco River valley to my location at sunrise, ostensibly to forage in the trees that catch the early sun. So higher elevations may be favored simply because they catch the sun earlier than other locations.

Russ Ruffing
Woodstock, MD

Sent from my iPhone