Date: 9/14/20 6:13 am
From: 'Michel Cavigelli' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] any research on migrant traps?
Good question. I have wondered the same. My neighborhood in Greenbelt (PG Co) seems to have substantially more migrants than those of two birding friends who live at lower elevations in Greenbelt...I have assumed that elevation is part of the issue but places like rock Creek Park often have more diversity and higher numbers than my neighborhood (but also many more birders...).
Michel Cavigelli
On Monday, September 14, 2020, 08:59:13 AM EDT, John Stith <john.stith...> wrote:

I've been wondering why migrant traps -- places that attract a lot of migrating birds -- are where they are.
I read this nicely detailed description of the maintenance yard area of Rock Creek Park in DC. It points out the the yard is at the top of a hill that is higher than most of its surroundings.
http://www.thebirdist.com/2015/10/a-crudely-drawn-guide-to-birding-at-dcs.html

Is elevation part of what makes a migrant trap? Peninsulas like Cape May in New Jersey make a lot of sense, but what about inland. How would one go about identifying a migrant trap in a place not already widely known. Does anyone know of any published research on this?
Thanks!John StithChillum, Md.