Date: 9/13/20 4:11 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (13 Sep 2020) 471 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 471 1697 1697

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Kory Renaud, Noel Herdman

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
Another lovely and warm day on the tower, with a strong breeze coming from
the West all day. Good visibility today, allowing us to see very far North
of the tower as well as quite high up. We had more of a mix of sun and
cloud which made spotting raptors easier on the eyes, yet some periods of
the day were spent staring at an expanse of blue sky.

Raptor Observations:
A day filled with Sharp-shinned Hawks (254), who kept popping up over the
Eastern treeline and coming straight above the tower. Of course as the day
wore on, most birds flew very high and we stared straight up to spot them
in the blue. Following closely behind were American Kestrels, a few
Cooper's Hawks and Merlins.
As the winds blew from the West we only spotted one kettle of Broad-winged
flying very high and far to the North. No doubt all migrating Broad-winged
Hawks flew too far North for us to see them but we're hoping they were
intercepted by the Detroit River Hawkwatch.

Non-raptor Observations:
Still many warblers fluttering at the base of the tower, thought not as
numerous as in the past days. We did spot our first Yellow-rumped Warbler
of the season, fall is now truly upon us. We were also fortunate to spot a
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher just at the end of day.
A few different species of shorebirds flew over the tower including
Black-bellied Plovers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Solitary Sandpipers,
Killdeer and Lesser Yellowlegs.
Still lots of Chimney Swifts (68), Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (17), and
Monarch Butterflies flying around.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73563997

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a warm day with Northerly winds and very little
cloud cover. We may be forced to lie on our backs on top of the tower in
order to see anything clearly and to save our necks. Tomorrow may be a good
day for Broad-winged Hawks for us, and we are hoping to see big kettles
forming overhead, fingers crossed!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<28bb4130ae90477996b5984422f481b6...>