Date: 9/12/20 8:20 pm
From: Nolan Clements <nolanclements...>
Subject: [obol] Harney Co. 9/12
Hi OBOLites,

Russ Morgan and I birded our way south from OO Ranch Rd. through the smoke
to the Steens today. Half mile visibility turned to roughly a mile at HQ
where we had a really nice diverse morning. Of particular note was a female
type American Redstart, 2 Fox Sparrows, 2 Golden-crowned Sparrows, a
Merlin, and a female Williamson's Sapsucker. Full list here:
https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S73508724

We stopped at P Ranch in the mid-afternoon and had a nice group of
Townsend's Warblers and a Red-shouldered Hawk. Full list here:
https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S73515421

Page Springs was full up but we decided to stop anyway to try our luck at
the Plumbeous Vireo. After 5 minutes of looking we heard it singing in the
alder patch between sites 26 and 27. It continued feeding in that area for
about an hour. While photographing the Plumbeous Vireo, Russ and I both got
on a female type Blackpoll Warbler. At one time, the two rarities were in
the same tree only feet apart. Full list here:
https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S73520534

Up on the Steens we ran into a flock of Juncos at Kiger Gorge overlook that
had a potential Pink-sided. East Rim is loaded with thistle and we saw
several hummingbirds but all brief flybys. We did not see Rosy-Finches but
a women mentioned she had seen 100 there earlier in the day.

Happy migration,
Nolan Clements

Join us on Facebook!