Date: 9/12/20 4:23 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (12 Sep 2020) 264 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 264 1226 1226

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Noel Herdman

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
We had a beautiful bright and sunny day with some clouds and a gentle
breeze. The winds blew from the North for two hours in the morning only to
swivel to the East and later the South-East. A mix of sun and cloud made it
easier to spot migrating raptors who took the opportunity to fly quite high
all day.

Raptor Observations:
A splendid day for Sharp-shinned Hawks as we counted 180 individuals flying
high in the sky above the tower. These are the types of numbers we are used
to seeing in September and we were very pleased to count so many
particularly in unfavourable winds. The winds did affect our Broad-winged
Hawk count, only 14 flew in our area. American Kestrels were also plentiful
with 45 individuals and our highlight was counting 11 Northern Harriers
gliding effortlessly through the air.

Non-raptor Observations:
Still many warblers about in the park, a few species made an appearance at
the tower in the morning. We had our first sighting of a Ruby-crowned
Kinglet and will be expecting many more very soon. We also had our first
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in the morning.
We are seeing a greater variety of woodpeckers including Downy, Northern
Flicker, Red-bellied, and Red-headed Woodpeckers.
In the afternoon we are spotting a few more Common Nighthawks snacking on
insects in the sky and additionally, we counted 50 Monarch butterflies
migrating high above the tower.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73517328

Predictions:
We are expecting a bit of rain overnight which may drag on into the
morning. Winds expected to blow from the West for most of the day. This
should keep bringing us Sharp-shinned Hawks and American Kestrels, but not
too many Broad-winged Hawks for the time being.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<36b2bdfee58bcb2f83170fcd7bc05efc...>