Date: 9/12/20 9:26 am
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] Startling numbers of Rufous Hummingbirds in Lubbock
Greetings All:

If one gets to Clapp Park early (the first hour or so of light), the
number of hummingbirds is stunning. From static points I was able to
tally 11 (the big sunflower patch along the west side of the main
playa), 6 (the mid-sized sunflower patch at the southwest corner of
the main playa), 4 (shrubhenge), 5 (the willows/sunflowers at the east
end of the dike), and 4 (the willows/conifers at the north end of the
park). There was a lot of movement within the patches but I saw no
birds flying from patch to patch. This made for at least thirty
hummingbirds at the park (and this does not include isolated birds or
birds from the arboretum.

The overwhelming majority of birds were showing extensive enough
rufous on the underside and enough rufous in the brow to call them
Rufous Hummingbirds. The only adult hummingbird I saw was a male
Rufous Hummingbird. I was able to get eyes on at least four immature
female, five immature male, and one adult male Rufous Hummingbirds.

Additionally, I have at least six hummingbirds in my yard right now
(fighting over four feeders) and all appear to be immature Rufous
Hummingbirds (though one might be a Broad-tailed Hummingbird - will
try to get eyes on all these birds later this morning ... after I put
up two more feeders.

I also had 1 immature female Calliope Hummingbird, three immature
female and one immature male Broad-tailed Hummingbirds, Some of the
Broad-tailed Hummingbirds were showing a bit more salmon than normal
but none had orange in the brow. This is, as Justin Bosler pointed
out on texbirds, reflective of a better-than-average movement through
the region of these two species as well

I also had one immature female Ruby-throated Hummingbird and two
immature female and one immature male Black-chinned Hummingbirds -
these are normal numbers for this time of year.

Anthony Hewetson; Lubbock
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!