Date: 9/11/20 10:28 pm
From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Binoculars IMAGIC IS
All -

Most of the Image Stabilized binoculars on the market have IS systems that work nicely, but with a caveat - no company has been able to design an IS System that is rugged.

While most birders are not deliberately abusive of their optics, we use them EVERY DAY, and “stuff happens”. Bangs, bumps, and bounces are all cumulative. In addition to giving a great image, most of the more expensive binocular models are designed to take a lot of use (and inadvertent abuse).

If you feel that you can benefit from an Image Stabilized binocular, it WILL probably help you to see better. However, be sure to be VERY careful with handling and storage. That binocular was likely intended to be used infrequently by boaters, Star-gazers, and casual users, not avid, everyday-in-the-field birders. The IS system is inherently fragile.

Last thing - figure that the cost of the Image Stabilization system is about 60% - 70% of the cost of the entire binocular. So an IS-type binocular that sells for $500 will have roughly the optical quality of a $200 “regular” binocular. Hmmmm.....

Good birding,

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
(Calallen) Corpus Christi, TX

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 10, 2020, at 2:04 PM, Lea Simmons <lsimmons1575...> wrote:
>

> I just saw this and perhaps you or someone you know would benefit from the image stabilizing binoculars from Opticronusa.
> I have not had the need for them as of yet but have been around so many people that have a hard time observing in the field due to shake. Just thought I would pass it on!
>
> Have a great day!
> Lea
>
> Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at

> from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!