Date: 9/11/20 9:18 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Chestnut-sided Warbler
I birded along Rio Boca Rd. in the Pajaro Dunes late this afternoon. When I got to the parking lot loop at the end of the road I saw movement in some of the Cypress trees and Eucalyptus trees near the end of the loop. I got out of my truck to get a look and first found a Westen Wood-Pewee flycatching from the top of a Cypress. Nearby were a few Chickadees, a Wilson's Warbler and a Townsend's Warbler. I saw more movement in the next tree and couldn't immediately identify the Warbler due to the backlighting. I was able to get a few photos and quickly checked them and recognized it as a juvenile CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER. It moved about rapidly while feeding and flew into the large Eucalyptis grove at the end of the loop where the road heads back. With the dense fog, hopefully the bird will stay until tomorrow so others can try for it. Check all the Cypress and Eucalyptus trees in the island inside the loop at the end of Rio Boca Rd at Pelican Point. There were a number of warblers at Shorebirds Pond late today as well, including Yellow, Wilson's and Townsend's. A few photos of the juvenile Chestnut-sided Warbler are included in my eBird report.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S73480890

Randy Wardle
Aptos