Date: 9/11/20 6:16 pm
From: Mark Lockwood <mwlockwood402...>
Subject: [texbirds] Balmorhea area - 11 September
This afternoon I birded around what is left of Balmorhea Lake and spend
much of the afternoon at a water puddle near Sandia Wetlands that Cecilia
Riley and Mike Gray alerted me to. The birding today was nothing short of
astounding. I have never seen so many landbird migrants. Nothing really
unusual, just big numbers for the Trans-Pecos. Highlights included:

Tropical Kingbird - 1 (heard calling)
Willow Flycatcher - 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher - 1
Western Wood-Pewee - 4
Plumbeous Vireo - 1
Warbling Vireo - 1
Spizella Sparrows - 550
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 1500
Nashville Warbler - 1
Orange-crowned Warbler - 8
Virginia's Warbler - 8
Yellow Warbler - 12
Townsend's Warbler - 6
American Redstart - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 130
Wilson's Warbler - 240
Lazuli Bunting - 1
Painted Bunting - 3
Dickcissel - 6

I have never seen anything like this before in the Trans-Pecos. Mike and
Cecilia also had a Black-throsted Gray Warbler. The numbers of Spizella
sparrows, Wilson"s and Yellow-rumped Warblers in the area was likely 10
times what is reported here.

I put a few photos of individual birds on my Flickr page for those
interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70194759@N05/

Join us on Facebook!