Date: 9/11/20 4:36 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (11 Sep 2020) 471 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 1 1 1

Total: 471 962 962

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Dave Martin, Hugh Kent, Ian Woodfield, Linda Wladarski,
Michelle Mastellotto, Noel Herdman

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
A fresh start to the day with strong winds from the North all day long.
More blue sky today and the cloud cover almost disappeared completely by
the end of the day. Of course, this made spotting raptors more difficult
but we enjoyed the warmth of the sun.

Raptor Observations:
A Swainson's Hawk was spotted today at 12:25 flying right above the tower!
This Western migrant showed off its dark slender wings and pale body to us
for a few minutes before heading off. For our head counter, who is also
from Western Canada, this sighting was very exciting and she was thrilled
to see a familiar face in the sky!
Aside from the rarity, the day was filled (471 raptors)
with many raptors like with Broad-winged Hawks (258), most of them
streaming past the tower high into the blue. We are seeing more migrating
Sharp-shinned Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, and Turkey Vultures, species that
had not been very active since the beginning of the count, but are now
starting to move.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today's non-raptor highlight was a Black-billed Cuckoo spotted at the base
of the tower for a brief minute!
Warblers were in abundance all over the park but did not seem to make their
way to the tower. A few were recorded in the morning but our attention
quickly returned to the sky where hawks were aplenty.
Not as many swallows flew by today, but we still counted a few Chimney
Swifts, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, and Nighthawks.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73471796

Predictions:
Tonight the winds are shifting away from the North and will stay that way
for a few days. Tomorrow we are expecting winds from the East and
South-East which may put a damper on our bigger flights. We are hoping that
despite the change in winds we will still see a good number of migrants,
particularly more Sharp-shinned Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<8994c59adccb14dd0cc9eaa142836b33...>