Date: 9/10/20 8:26 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (10 Sep 2020) 59 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 59 170 170

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady, Sam Heilman

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on HawkCount.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs. If you do
decide to join us in person, please help the counter and volunteers to
follow their mandated safety protocols by refraining from approaching them.
Please follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by wearing a mask and
maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in advance for your
cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
In the word’s of a wise philosopher “It’s déjà vu all over
again”. To stay in the baseball vein, “Somewhere the sun is shining”.
Not for us though, we went through the early morning hours with fog with
light drizzle and it continued to mimic yesterday’s weather with gray
overcast skies until day’s end. I thought that perhaps three days of NE
winds was too good to be true and so it was. We have greater hopes for
tomorrow as the sun will finally show its face. The wind will continue from
the NE and the barometer, which at 30.3” was as high as we have seen it
this year, will stay high. We saw the potential of these conditions today
as we had fragments of a solid flight on the edges of the darker clouds.

Raptor Observations:
I suspect Holiday Beach may have had a better day than us today as it
seemed lighter in that direction and we could see sunlight on the wind
turbines in Canada for a few minutes as we shut down for the day. We
finally had a few sharp-shins fly by, totaling twelve for the day. Our
broad-winged total zoomed up to 27, including a small kettle of seven
birds. Two red-tails were observed. Kestrels continued to move in better
numbers than the sharp-shins with 16 on the day. Two harriers were spotted
later in the day.

Non-raptor Observations:
The usual members of our entourage were at work today. Local eagles and
osprey were looking for fish in their respective ways. The Caspian terns
continued with the adult followed by the juvenile calling its plaintive
plea for a free meal. Two common loons were seen at different times. One
nighthawk was seen passing over. Swallows and swifts are still very
plentiful although their prey is hard to see. Although a warbling vireo was
heard, little was seen of the migrant warblers and other passerines

Predictions:
Well, maybe the third time is the charm. The sun will come out tomorrow,
(hmmm), at least it is predicted to at the start of the watch. The wind
will continue in low double digits from the NE quadrant and the barometer
will be north of 30”. Perhaps it will look like a high pressure day
finally. The last two days got off to dark soggy starts with dry dark
endings but hope springs eternal.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<91d0229b94963a94abd6d5af9ce49e46...>