Date: 9/10/20 10:55 am
From: JJ Furuno <j.furuno...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Help with ID
Thanks all for the great info. I shared with Lars earlier that I had never
seen them before (novice birder and east coast transplant) and was
impressed with how powerfully, yet gracefully they swam up river against
the swift current. I was also impressed by the size. Later in the day, they
flew back down river in a tight formation and close to the surface of the
water. It was really beautiful.

Thanks again, JJ

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:38 AM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> There's more, Common Merganser wise. They are cavity nesters, including
> trees if they can find a cavity big enough. I've seen a female land in the
> top of a 200' Cottonwood tree here, about 1/4 mile from the Clackamas
> River. Surveying the local scene for nesting possibilities. This puts any
> Wood Duck to shame!
> Broods are commonly seen all along the Clackamas River hereabouts.
> Bob OBrien Carver OR
>
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 2:37 AM larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes. Common Mergansers. There have been a few eBird reports of
>> "Red-breasted" Mergansers at inland locations the past month, perhaps
>> inspired by juvenile Common. Red-breasteds are Arctic nesters that winter
>> on saltwater. They are the size of Mallards. Common Mergansers are 50%
>> bigger, one of our largest ducks. Yet they frequent surprisingly small
>> streams as well as the main stem of the Willamette . Greasy Creek and Woods
>> Creek are tributaries of the Marys near Philomath where Common Mergansers
>> were seen when l was growing up. Both streams can be straddled dry shod by
>> adult humans most of the year.
>>

>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!