Date: 9/10/20 9:24 am
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Short Article on Gull Behavior
In the early 1980’s I spent time on SE Farallon Island with the mask-wearing Larry Spear and others. Larry related the story to me about why he was wearing a mask and the way in which he describe it was absolutely hilarious. Another funny Larry Spear story was told to my while I was on the island. Larry was in the murre blind with another person and he was describing an individual western gull that was specializing on predating murre eggs and chicks in the study plot. As he was describing this to the other person the gull suddenly appeared gliding past the murre blind and Larry called out “their it is”! Just as Larry was saying this the gull let loose with a load of poop which flew through the small blind window and into Larry’s mouth! Larry fell back chocking while the other person was trying to catch his breath between laugher. Even Larry laughed at this story (after the fact). He was such a great person and great scientist who left earth way too early.

Roy Lowe
Waldport, OR

> On Sep 10, 2020, at 8:16 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
>
> Nothing comes close to this attached article. I recall when this first came out, by far my favorite small piece in Natural History magazine. From the legendary Larry Spear:
>
> https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/htmlsite/master.html?https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/htmlsite/editors_pick/1988_06_pick.html <https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/htmlsite/master.html?https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/htmlsite/editors_pick/1988_06_pick.html>
>
> Bob Archer
> pdx
>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 3:02 AM larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> <mailto:<larspernorgren...>> wrote:
> This is a case of quantifying something that may already be known/ suspected on the basis of anecdotal evidence, as indicated by Frank. The same article points out that Herring Gulls are increasingly easy to see in urban areas of the UK. The anecdotal evidence there would lead people, birders no less than the general public, to conclude that gulls are doing just fine, perhaps growing in numbers. Multiple species of Gull now nest in urban environments in nw Europe. All species of nesting gulls in Norway have declined dramatically the past half century.
> Only the careful harvest of data( with attendant tedium) can yield useful explanations. Gulls , like pigeons, have routinely displayed great initiative in exploiting opportunities created by humans. The human response to this display of intelligence is typically contempt.

Join us on Facebook!