Date: 9/10/20 3:02 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Short Article on Gull Behavior
This is a case of quantifying something that may already be known/ suspected on the basis of anecdotal evidence, as indicated by Frank. The same article points out that Herring Gulls are increasingly easy to see in urban areas of the UK. The anecdotal evidence there would lead people, birders no less than the general public, to conclude that gulls are doing just fine, perhaps growing in numbers. Multiple species of Gull now nest in urban environments in nw Europe. All species of nesting gulls in Norway have declined dramatically the past half century.       Only the careful harvest of data( with attendant tedium) can yield useful explanations. Gulls , like pigeons, have routinely displayed great initiative in exploiting opportunities created by humans. The human response to this display of intelligence is typically contempt.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Frank Kolwicz <fhkolwicz1...> Date: 9/10/20 1:39 AM (GMT-08:00) To: <bcombs232...>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Short Article on Gull Behavior I can't believe that anyone who has spent any time watching birds doesn't know that they all very careful of predatory eyes directed at them.Next they'll be telling us that birds become 12.8% less shy per week of associating humans with food sources.Frankin MonmouthOn 9/9/2020 11:35 PM, Barbara Combs wrote:> Gulls pay attention to human eyes <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200908101604.htm>> > Nonhuman beings often know a lot more than we give them credit for.> > -- > Barbara Combs   obie '70> Lane County, OR*******UNSUBSCRIBE: www.freelists.org/list/obolOBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obolContact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!