Date: 9/10/20 2:37 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Help with ID
Yes. Common Mergansers. There have been a few eBird reports of "Red-breasted" Mergansers at inland locations the past month, perhaps inspired by juvenile Common. Red-breasteds are Arctic nesters that winter on saltwater. They are the size of Mallards. Common Mergansers are 50% bigger, one of our largest ducks. Yet they frequent surprisingly small streams as well as the main stem of the Willamette . Greasy Creek and Woods Creek are tributaries of the Marys near Philomath where Common Mergansers were seen when l was growing up. Both streams can be straddled dry shod by adult humans  most of the year.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: JJ Furuno <j.furuno...> Date: 9/9/20 10:46 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <obol...> Subject: [obol] Help with ID Hi,Sorry about the poor photo quality. This was taken on Sunday on the Salmon River near Welches. Are these mergansers? Thx, JJ Furuno

Join us on Facebook!