Date: 9/9/20 4:55 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Weekly bird census, Hagerman NWR, 09-08-20
We are in one of those slow times of year for finding birds. A lot of birds
are not near as active now, having completed nesting, some molting and some
starting to migrate etc. So as a result we had a low species count. Herons
and Egrets are still much in evidence.with a total of 109 Great Egrets, 89
Snowy Egrets, 397 Cattle Egrets, 8 Little Blue Herons, 11 Great Blue
Herons, 2 Tricolored Herons and a hybrid that we feel that is a cross
between a Snowy Egret and a Tricolored Herons. Hybrids of this nature are
extremely rare. At Deaver Pond we found a Black-crowned Night-Heron that
had caught a catfish and was trying to figure out how to finish it off.
Mississippi Kite numbers are down and we only saw 2. We did see a
Broad-winged Hawk, a species that has been scarce this year. We had 2
Pileated Woodpeckers on Harris Creek Trail along with a Red-headed
Woodpecker. There was a Belted Kingfisher at Meadow Pond. We located a
couple of American Kestrels on the west side of the refuge. We saw a total
of 4 Lark Sparrows, finishing the day with a low count of 48 species.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S73351525
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

Join us on Facebook!