Date: 9/9/20 4:44 pm
From: Scott Young <wsyacy...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Blue jay tail variation
Recently, Tyler Bell disabused me of a yellow-billed cuckoo ID in favor of
a blue jay (in my defense, it was foggy but the body shape should have been
a dead giveaway!). In any case, that spurred me to look at the tails of my
backyard BLJA visitors. As shown in the figure below, you can see that the
two sides of the tail could be used like fingerprints to ID them (and,
maybe to a lesser extent, YBCUs). I suppose this may be known to many
birders and if anyone knows of a publication addressing this, please pass
it along.

Thanks,

Scott Young
Gaithersburg