Date: 9/9/20 4:41 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (09 Sep 2020) 76 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 76 203 203

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
A thick fog surrounded the tower today, making it hard to see the treeline
at the other end of the marsh. The visibility remained quite poor for most
of the day as the clouds stayed very low and we stared into a gray sky to
spot birds. Winds we're quite favourable for us, blowing from the North all
day, with the exception of a few hours in the mid-afternoon when the air
became very still.

Raptor Observations:
Migration has officially begun at HBMO, thank you Northern winds! Today we
counted 76 raports, and once again the majority were American Kestrels
(50). We counted more Red-Tailed Hawks flying quite high and getting lost
into the clouds. A couple Northern Harriers, Broad-winged Hawks and Merlins
also flew over. Our last bird of the day was a Peregrine Falcon flying just
above our heads. We are noticing a lack of Sharp-shinned Hawks, and are
hoping that the last few days of Northern winds will have pushed them
closer to us and they should pass over the tower any day now.

Non-raptor Observations:
Another major push for swallows today with over 200 Purple Martins and Tree
Swallows feeding above us. Mixed in their flocks were many Chimney Swifts
and a few Nighthawks. Mingling among the swallows was a constant flow of
Monarch butterflies gracefully crossing the marsh.
We added a few species of ducks to this year's list; Gadwalls, American
Widgeon, and American Black Duck. They were spotted when a motor boat
flushed many waterfowl from their homes under the lotus leaves.
Additionally, we were fortunate to spot a Common Loon flying above the
tower.
Warblers and small passerines are still coming through thanks to Northern
overnight winds. They are a delight to count in the morning.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73394724

Predictions:
How lucky we are to have another day of Northern winds tomorrow! These last
few days have quick-started migration in the region and now we're off to
the races. We hoping to count more Sharp-shinned Hawks and continue on the
same upward trend.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<8c884f28f35702a942df761284240ee1...>