Date: 9/9/20 12:51 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (1 Harney)
Pacific Golden-Plover (1 Clatsop)
Sanderling (6 Benton)
Parasitic Jaeger (1 Deschutes)
Iceland Gull (Thayer's) (1 Lincoln)
Common Loon (2 Baker)
Willow Flycatcher (3 Deschutes)
Gray Flycatcher (2 Union)
Black Phoebe (1 Lake)
Plumbeous Vireo (4 Harney)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 Curry)
Lesser Goldfinch (1 Lincoln)
Fox Sparrow (1 Tillamook)
Savannah Sparrow (Savannah) (1 Union)
Bullock's Oriole (1 Lake)
Summer Tanager (2 Grant)

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 11:07 by Henry Burton
- Steens Mountain--East Rim, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.5646731&<ll...>,-118.5646731
- Comments: "Female. Two very brief views, then two longer views.
Hummingbird with lots of rufous in the tail feathers. Bright, emerald green
back and no rufous hues on back. Buffy or rufous flanks. No central spot on
throat. Curved bill. The bird was feeding on thistles: moving rapidly from
flower to flower and sometime resting on the ground. Will post photos."

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 09:45 by J. Micheal Patterson
- Sunset/DelRey linear survey (6km), Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.93433&<ll...>,-123.93433
- Media: 1 Photo

Sanderling (Calidris alba) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 15:17 by Tyler Hallman
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Comments: "Light gray shorebird with black bill and legs and black
shoulder patches."

Sanderling (Calidris alba) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 15:17 by Whitney Fleming
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Comments: "Light gray shorebird with black bill and legs and black
shoulder patches."

Sanderling (Calidris alba) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 14:25 by Pam Otley
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile. Sandpiper larger than LESA/WESA , black legs and
bill, all white below, black pattern on wings & back. Reported by Will
Wright this morning."

Sanderling (Calidris alba) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 13:56 by Will Wright
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Comments: "Photos of continuing bird"

Sanderling (Calidris alba) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 10:18 by Jesse Laney
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Comments: "Continuing bird found earlier this morning by W. Wright.
Wright took photos. Pale shorebird, short black bill. Speckling/spangled
back suggested juvenile bird."

Sanderling (Calidris alba) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 09:18 by Hendrik Herlyn
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "NW pond. Photos."

Parasitic Jaeger (Stercorarius parasiticus) (1)
- Reported Sep 06, 2020 by Central Oregon Historical Records
- Wickiup Dam, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.6906643&<ll...>,-121.6906643
- Comments: ""Parasitic Jaeger 1 adult. Scoped for a while way out on the
Water, it took off and came towards the Dam grabbing hold of a Ring-billed
Gull on the way. After a brief tumble, they parted and Jaeger continued
gaining hight over the Dam until I lost sight of it. Dark capped, pale neck
and belly with a breast band, pointed adult type tail feathers uniform
Brown upper parts with White wing flashes at base of Primaries." Observer
Peter Low"

Iceland Gull (Thayer's) (Larus glaucoides thayeri) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 10:15 by Phil Pickering
- D River Beach Wayside, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0172768&<ll...>,-124.0172768
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "molting subadult FOS, size of average California with pale-end
mantle, short deep pink legs, proportionately small bill, dark iris,
familiar THGU-like head shape and eye position/facial expression, large
white tongues on new outer primaries"

Common Loon (Gavia immer) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 10:06 by Jimi Soupir
- Murray Reservoir, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.1040359&<ll...>,-118.1040359
- Comments: "Large, dark gray with spots, duck-like bird sitting low in
water, large whitish bill with a very sharp tip (appeared to be a small
hook) at tip. Non-breeding plumage. Reddish eye."

Common Loon (Gavia immer) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 10:06 by Karen Jacobs
- Murray Reservoir, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.1040359&<ll...>,-118.1040359
- Comments: "Large, dark gray with spots, duck-like bird sitting low in
water, large whitish bill with a very sharp tip (appeared to be a small
hook) at tip. Non-breeding plumage. Reddish eye."

Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 08:02 by World Shorebirds Day
- Watkins Res, 3 Sis Irrigation Dist property, private, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.4956141&<ll...>,-121.4956141
- Comments: "White throat, orange underbill, greenish back, buffy wing
bars, pale yellow breast, no vest"

Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 08:02 by judy meredith
- Watkins Res, 3 Sis Irrigation Dist property, private, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.4956141&<ll...>,-121.4956141
- Comments: "White throat, orange underbill, greenish back, buffy wing
bars, pale yellow breast, no vest"

Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) (1)
- Reported Sep 06, 2020 by Central Oregon Historical Records
- Wickiup Reservoir--Kiosk Ponds, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.7088343&<ll...>,-121.7088343
- Comments: "Observer - Peter Low"

Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 07:08 by Nolan Clements
- Wolf Creek Reservoir, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.0249023&<ll...>,-118.0249023
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "First seen around 10 am at 45.0507789, -118.0256215. Brief
views and bad angles first led us to believe it was a Dusky. However, we
ran into the bird several more times and were able to get better looks.
Drab empid with stout bill, and circular eye ring. Saw tail pumping and
heard dry whit call. Less than 10 county records. Pics."

Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 07:08 by Russ Morgan
- Wolf Creek Reservoir, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.0249023&<ll...>,-118.0249023
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "First seen around 10 am at 45.0507789, -118.0256215. Brief
views and bad angles first led us to believe it was a Dusky. However, we
ran into the bird several more times and were able to get better looks.
Drab empid with stout bill, and circular eye ring. Saw tail pumping and
heard dry whit call. Less than 10 county records. Pics."

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) (2)
- Reported Sep 05, 2020 09:15 by Tim Janzen
- Goose Lake State Recreation Area (Oregon), Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.3235781&<ll...>,-120.3235781
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Two adults seen about 50 yards north of the west most parking
area just west of the railroad tracks. The birds were along a ditch in an
opening among the nearby willows."

Plumbeous Vireo (Vireo plumbeus) (1)
- Reported Sep 09, 2020 07:15 by Donald Sutherland
- Page Springs Campground, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.8671098&<ll...>,-118.8671098
- Comments: "Continuing bird"

Plumbeous Vireo (Vireo plumbeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 07, 2020 10:12 by Mark Ludwick
- Page Springs Campground, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.8671098&<ll...>,-118.8671098
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "At campsite 24 first. Moving to 25, & 26. Seen with Tom C."

Plumbeous Vireo (Vireo plumbeus) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2020 07:15 by Tim Janzen
- Page Springs Campground, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.8671098&<ll...>,-118.8671098
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "About 8:15 am I heard a vireo singing about 50 yards south of
campsite #15 and after tracking the bird down I discovered that it was the
Plumbeous that has been recently reported from the campground. The bird
moved in the draw just east of campsite #15 where my wife and I observed it
with several other birders (Christine Gervais and her friend). Photos
taken."

Plumbeous Vireo (Vireo plumbeus) (1)
- Reported Sep 04, 2020 08:00 by Mark Nikas
- Page Springs Campground, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.8671098&<ll...>,-118.8671098
- Media: 1 Photo, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Solitary Vireo with uncontrasting gray back, no yellow & pale
edged secondaries"

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (1)
- Reported Sep 09, 2020 08:30 by Christopher Hinkle
- Winchuck River mouth, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.2130351&<ll...>,-124.2130351
- Comments: "Seen, recorded"

Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 13:50 by Christopher Hinkle
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center and Estuary Trail, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0434766&<ll...>,-124.0434766
- Comments: "Heard, recorded, also heard by Dan and Candace's group"

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 11:55 by Cliff Cordy
- Tillamook Bay--Barview Jetty, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.949414&<ll...>,-123.949414
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Dark brown sparrow with orange lower bill. Dark triangular
spots on breast and belly. White eye ring. This bird was way out on the
jetty, about 100 meters from the end. Possibly driven out there by the
strong east wind."

Savannah Sparrow (Savannah) (Passerculus sandwichensis [sandwichensis
Group]) (8)
- Reported Sep 05, 2020 07:45 by Sean Cozart
- Thief Valley Reservoir (Union Co.), Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-117.785368&<ll...>,-117.785368
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Applying a subspecies designation so I can perhaps have a
discussion with the reviewer on SAVS identification, but overall the id is
kind of redundant. Let me explain. Ebird has 5 ISSF groups for SAVS but
they all of the debatable species like Belding's and Large-billed from
southwestern US/Mexico. Nearly all the US/Canada subspecies (17 ssp if I
have it correct) are listed under the nominate group. The reason why I
chose the subspecies designation this time around is because I'm 99%
certain the photographed sparrows are <i>not</i> the breeding
<i>nevadensis</i>. "Geographic Variation in Size and Shape of Savannah
Sparrow" (Rising 2000) suggests that the nominate group can be broken down
to three more field identifiable subspecies groups; the pale Western, the
dark Eastern and California Saltmarsh. It's a shame that ebird doesn't have
these designations.

Upon seeing this group of SAVS, the first thing I noticed immediately was
that they were morphologically and behavioral different from our expected
breeding subspecies. Birds of the World, which gives an English definition
of Rising 2000, describes <i>nevadensis</i> as being a slender-billed,
grayish-brown dorsally, brown upperpart streaked sparrow with an
ill-defined creamy yellow supercilium. I took a look at all my photos
showing breeding individuals according to eBird Science and it seems
breeding individuals are indeed pale overall with limited underpart
streaking and almost completely absent yellow supercilium. I photographed a
presumed <i>nevadensis</i> last week in Wallowa county and being in fresh
plumage, the supercilium was more pronounced.

Anywhere, the Thief Valley sparrows had a proportionally larger and thicker
bill than breeding individuals I've photographed. They were much more
heavily marked below and one individual had very buffy tones to the
underparts. Upperpart streaking was very well defined and not diffused,
clearly black, edged in grayish-white. Tertials cinnamon-brown, contrasting
slightly with the grayer-brown wings. Yellow supercilium very pronounced
and the head overall has an olive wash to it. Behaviorally, these birds
were much more approachable than local birds and were foraging among the
rocks along the receded boat ramp, not out in the grasslands up the hill
where I normally see the species here.

I suspect these individuals to belong to the <b>anthinus</b> race that
breeds throughout inland Alaska, Yukon and northern BC. The nominate
subspecies is also a possibility which is practically identical (if SAVS
designations weren't difficult enough) to <i>anthinus</i> and differs only
by size. However, I personally eliminated that based on range since they
breed on the Aleutian Islands and "seems" to be a coastal migrator as well.
Whether or not what subspecies it is, it's still kind of redundant as
there's no way I can report the birds as such but perhaps this can get
birders a little more interesting in even the common species because
there's always something new to learn!"

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 12:56 by LeeAnn Harris
- 315 N S St, Lakeview US-OR 42.19242, -120.36144, Lake, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.361436&<ll...>,-120.361436
- Comments: "Female Markings; observed near southern Oregon/Northern
California border"

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 08, 2020 12:15 by Diane Burgess
- stakeout SUMMER TANAGER, Thomas Orchards, Kimberly (2020), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6362707&<ll...>,-119.6362707
- Comments: "Continuing"

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2020 15:30 by Tim Janzen
- stakeout SUMMER TANAGER, Thomas Orchards, Kimberly (2020), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6362707&<ll...>,-119.6362707
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "One male tanger with bright red plumage and no wing bars. I
parked near the fruit stand and when I got out of the car I thought I saw a
glimpse of red in the walnut tree right next to the fruit stand. After
scanning the walnut tree for several minutes the male Summer Tanager popped
into view and perched on an exposed branch for about 2 minutes allowing my
wife and I to see it as did several of the other customers there. I was
able to get a few photos before the bird flew into the nearby peach orchard
and didn’t reappear during the half-hour or so that we were there. I
didn’t see the female Summer Tanager that has also been reported from this
location."

Join us on Facebook!