Date: 9/9/20 12:15 pm
From: Tallamy, Douglas <dtallamy...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [COBOL] Page Springs Plumbeous Vireo
Hi folks,

The insect in the bill of Tom's vireo is an antlion (Myrmeleontidae, Neuroptera); although dobsonflies are also Neuroptera, they are very different insects. Nice photos!

Doug Tallamy
University of Delaware, Entomology
________________________________
From: David Vick <or.naturalist...>
Date: 9/9/20 9:20 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: M Gonzalez <Towhee...>
Cc: <COBOL...>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol...>, Tom Crabtree <tc...>

Great photos indeed! However Dr. G, that is a Dobson Fly in its beak, the larval stage of which is an ant lion. They are in a totally different order of insects, Neuroptera meaning nerve-winged which includes the beneficial lacewings. You better order that field guide I emailed about yesterday! Enjoy,

David

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:11 PM M Gonzalez <towhee...><mailto:<towhee...>> wrote:
Tom,

Nice photos. Especially like the one with the damselfly!

Mark