Date: 9/9/20 11:05 am
From: Robert Taylor <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender taylorbobt for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: [COBOL] Page Springs Plumbeous Vireo
I don't believe that the insect being referred to is a Dobson Fly.  Ant Lions are separate from them.
Dobson Flies are aquatic as a larvae and Ant Lions make those little conical pits in the sand as larvae (Non-aquatic).
Obviously, I could be wrong but if you are looking for larval stages, you would have to search in different environs.
Bob Taylor
On Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 09:57:50 AM PDT, larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:

The first place l ever saw evidence of ant lions was under a juniper north of Glass Buttes. I think they're quite common in much of Oregon's juniper zone. I'm struck by the late date of this vireo's presence four seasons in a row with circumstantial  evidence of breeding. Could the Dobson's fly's annual cycle at Page Springs be involved?

-------- Original message --------From: David Vick <or.naturalist...> Date: 9/9/20 9:20 AM (GMT-08:00) To: M Gonzalez <Towhee...> Cc: <COBOL...>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol...>, Tom Crabtree <tc...> Subject: [obol] Re: [COBOL] Page Springs Plumbeous Vireo
Great photos indeed!  However Dr. G, that is a Dobson Fly in its beak, the larval stage of which is an ant lion.  They are in a totally different order of insects, Neuroptera meaning nerve-winged which includes the beneficial lacewings.  You better order that field guide I emailed about yesterday!  Enjoy,
David
On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:11 PM M Gonzalez <towhee...> wrote:

Tom,
Nice photos.  Especially like the one with the damselfly!

Mark