Date: 9/9/20 9:58 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [COBOL] Page Springs Plumbeous Vireo
The first place l ever saw evidence of ant lions was under a juniper north of Glass Buttes. I think they're quite common in much of Oregon's juniper zone. I'm struck by the late date of this vireo's presence four seasons in a row with circumstantial  evidence of breeding. Could the Dobson's fly's annual cycle at Page Springs be involved?Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: David Vick <or.naturalist...> Date: 9/9/20 9:20 AM (GMT-08:00) To: M Gonzalez <Towhee...> Cc: <COBOL...>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol...>, Tom Crabtree <tc...> Subject: [obol] Re: [COBOL] Page Springs Plumbeous Vireo Great photos indeed!  However Dr. G, that is a Dobson Fly in its beak, the larval stage of which is an ant lion.  They are in a totally different order of insects, Neuroptera meaning nerve-winged which includes the beneficial lacewings.  You better order that field guide I emailed about yesterday!  Enjoy,David On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:11 PM M Gonzalez <towhee...> wrote:Tom,Nice photos.  Especially like the one with the damselfly!MarkFrom: "Tom Crabtree" <tc...>To: "OBOL Oregon Birders Online" <obol...>, <COBOL...>: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 7:43:25 PMSubject: Re: [COBOL] Page Springs Plumbeous VireoI added a few more pictures and a sound recording of the Plumbeous Vireo today for those interested.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S73317247Tom Crabtree, Bend

-- Mark GonzalezBend, Oregon

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#2783) |