Date: 9/8/20 8:49 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (08 Sep 2020) 10 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 87 87

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on HawkCount.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs. If you do
decide to join us in person, please help the counter and volunteers to
follow their mandated safety protocols by refraining from approaching them.
Please follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by wearing a mask and
maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in advance for your
cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
Another day of turbulent weather as we were close to a front line which
produced strong thunderstorms in the morning and unusual wind conditions
around us most of the day. On the Windy App, Cleveland was showing as a
meeting point for both winds from the south and north coming together from
180 degrees apart. Our wind indicator was spinning around in a confused
manner till the wind finally settled on an ENE direction and increased in
strength causing the temperature to drop, blowing the humidity away as we
added another layer. The skies alternately looked benign and threatening as
more weather was coming from the west. The barometer was relatively stable
despite all the drama as the front line was to the south of Toledo holding
around 30.1”. We has a short watch today due to the morning hours being
wet and the sky threatening enough in the late afternoon hours to stop the
flight of raptors.

Raptor Observations:
The NE winds on the north side of the front line should bring us some birds
once the changeable weather clears. We did count a few today in the hours
that we had from mid day on. Leading the numbers race were three kestrels.
Two red-tails were blown by. We counted one turkey vulture, one bald eagle,
one broad-wing and one peregrine falcon. The peregrine was seen looking for
a meal in the trees.

Non-raptor Observations:
The usual suspects were seen at the site; pied-billed grebes, ring-billed
gulls and lots of swallows. We did not get a chance to see the morning
birds due to the thunderstorms passing through. One common loon was
observed winging its way along the tree line across the channel.

Predictions:
The weather tomorrow looks promising as the wind will be from the NE
quadrant for the watch hours. Barometer will be high as the high pressure
system will have pushed the low away. Another favorable thing is that the
wind will be in the single digits in regards to strength. Sometimes too
much of a good thing can shift the flight away from the site.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<d67faf93c8c4d7225de670f21dc7550e...>