Date: 9/8/20 4:16 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (08 Sep 2020) 37 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 37 127 127

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Noel Herdman

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
Stormy start to the day, with rain coming down hard for the first 30
minutes and a few cracks of thunder. Strong winds blew from the North in
the morning, only to die down and turn to the East in the afternoon. This
shift in the winds caused a sudden stop to the flow of birds, but luckily
for the us, winds shifted back to the North for the last 2 hours of the
count.

Raptor Observations:
What a blessing it was to have Northern winds today as we counted 37
migrants! 37 does not seem like a very high number of birds, but seeing how
slow the start of the season has been, we were thankful for every raptor.
Our main flyer was the American Kestrel (22), and we even counted our first
Broad-winged Hawk. Northern Harriers, Merlins, and Sharp-shinned Hawks also
joined us, flying right above the tower. here's to hoping there's plenty
more where they came from!

Non-raptor Observations:
After the rain cleared up in the morning, swallows took full advantage of
the insects on the marsh and fed in very high numbers over the water.
Feeding among the swallows, we spotted a Nighthawk and Chimney Swifts (66).

When the winds blew from the North again, Cedar Waxwings and Goldfinches
passed in big flocks, and a few more Warblers were added to our list.
Lastly, our marsh highlights were an American Bittern and a Black-crowned
Night-Heron.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73359022

Predictions:
Overnight winds are staying put at North-East and continuing all day
tomorrow. The temperatures are expected to stay in the mid-20 degree
Celsius which should be quite pleasant. We may see a real push of
Sharp-shinned Hawks, Northern Harriers, American Kestrels, and potentially
a few more Broad-winged Hawks making their way down.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<20a24a3a36c650d4857cdc18e486f64f...>