Date: 9/8/20 9:32 am
From: Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Another optics related question

> Clear skies in La Grande, after the winds of terror roared through here
yesterday. I spent five days in the Wallowas birding and camping in pretty
much perfect weather. Yesterday as I was leaving there to bird Baker Co.
on my way home, the weather rolled in slowly, but relentlessly. By the
time I reached Halfway I was deeply grateful not to have been hurled off
the mountainside (thank God I traded in that tin can Kia Soul for an
Outback this summer). Dropping into Baker on 86 from Richland in the
afternoon, the Elkhorns were literally invisible. Needless to say, rare
were any creatures on the wing in Baker.
I should probably head over to the sewage ponds to see if anything
interesting blew in, but watching the Western Tanagers feed in my Russian
olive tree while savoring coffee, electricity and heated floors seems to be
all I can manage.

It seems to be more common for talented and experienced birders to post
trip reports on obol, but I might try to throw something together. Besides
a couple of daytrips, it was my first time birding in Wallowa. Deep in the
woods, it was at times sublime.
Rebecca

--
Dr. Rebecca Hartman
Associate Professor of History

*The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to
grow sharper.”*― Eden Phillpotts

Join us on Facebook!