Date: 9/8/20 9:29 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Another optics related question
Hi Lars,

Yes, lens coating can be very sensitive to careless cleaning and once gone or scratched, the coating can’t be restored. Years, ago, after destroying the anti-glare coating on some of my eyeglasses by cleaning them too vigorously with whatever piece of cloth was nearest, I’ve learned my lesson and am now more careful.

My guess for “microcloth” would be microfiber cloth. Either the little eyeglass cleaning cloths (generally a very fine weave) or the coarser weave (but still very soft) larger microfiber cloths would qualify, I would think. The common aspect of all of them is that they are very soft and not scratchy. When using the larger clothes with the coarser weave I would recommend at least shaking them for a few seconds to make sure that any dust/sand/debris particles are gone. Cotton cloths (e.g., t-shirts) can have some hard fibers in them, but in a pinch, will do if used gently.

In theory the best approach is to use a lens-cleaning brush (compact, fits in a pocket like a pen) or blower to first get any sand/dust particles off the lens (see attached photo of blower), then use a lens cleaning cloth as above to gently wipe off. This is for dry cleaning of the lens. For other situations (e.g., salt water spray when at the beach, etc,) I wipe the lens with one or two alcohol-soaked lens cleaning wipe (e.g., Walmart carries excellent Zeiss lens-cleaning wipes at their optics departments).

Tissues, paper towels, TP all have little, often invisible, pieces of hard wood debris in them that don’t hurt our noses (or other parts), but that definitely are going to hurt your lens coatings.

Cheers,

Nagi