Date: 9/7/20 7:51 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (07 Sep 2020) 12 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 12 77 77

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on HawkCount.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs. If you do
decide to join us in person, please help the counter and volunteers to
follow their mandated safety protocols by refraining from approaching them.
Please follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by wearing a mask and
maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in advance for your
cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
The predicted flash and bang show did pass through in the early morning
hours waking most of us that experienced it. We were greeted by the residue
at the start of day with patches of thick low cloud and then more frequent
slots of blue skies. Then it got weird. The barometer rose a tenth from
29.8 but then wavered a little as undecided which way to go. We were
between two systems in a sort of Bermuda Triangle where very few birds
would enter. The Windy App showed us at the bottom of a U-shaped wind
direction change of little enthusiasm where to the west and east the winds
were blowing with more gusto. The water level in our little neck of the
lake was growing higher while the wind on the main part of the lake should
have been blowing it all up to Buffalo. As if to emphasize our position in
no man’s land, there was a high line of delineation overhead high in the
sky as a solid blanket of high thin cloud stayed stationary for the
afternoon hours, blue on one side, white on the other as increasing numbers
of larger cumulus clouds were at a lower level.. More wet weather is
predicted for the overnight hours but better conditions are on the way.

Raptor Observations:
It was hard to find birds today but a few did pass. 5 turkey vultures
floated by, one sharp-shinned was seen as it soared and slowly passed. Two
broad-wings were hopefully signs of things to come. Three kestrels flew
through the mostly barren sky. One late near- adult bald eagle pumped
through with its beak agape.

Non-raptor Observations:
Gulls and swallows were the most common birds in the sky today. A few
hummingbirds shot by. A single yellowlegs continued to work the floating
vegetation and was sometimes upset by the wakes of the Labor Day boat
traffic. Some warblers were observed behind us including a Magnolia. Plenty
of American robins are usually seen at the start of the watch at in the
grass around the site.

Predictions:
The weather has been unsettled lately and therefore difficult for both the
pros and incompetent amateurs like me to make sense of it. Although we have
possibly rainy, low pressure weather in the early morning hours there seems
to be a trend towards a rising barometer and NE winds as the day
progresses. This trend seems to continue for more than one day which bodes
well for migration. It seems unusual to have winds predicted from
essentially the same beneficial direction for more than one day with a good
barometer reading so this could make up for the slow start to the first
week of September.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<34452ee331f39dc09f90aa16b178e2db...>