Date: 9/7/20 3:47 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (07 Sep 2020) 9 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 9 90 90

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
After quite a thunderstorm last night, our day on the tower was hot and
muggy. Thankfully, a full cloud cover kept the sun at bay most of the time.
Once again, winds blew from the South and later the South-East and provided
a cool breeze when gusts pushed through the tree barrier around the tower.

Raptor Observations:
It seems as though the hawks observed the Labour day holiday and refuse to
work today. Only 9 raptors graced us their presence, and it was an
interesting 9 raptors including; 3 Merlins, 2 Peregine Falcons, a
Red-tailed Hawk, a Sharp-shinned Hawk, a Bald Eagle, and a single American
Kestrel. To entertain us between migrants, the local Ospreys actively
called and chased each other for the better part of the day.

Non-raptor Observations:
Similarly to the hawks, many birds also decided to take the day off. What
we lacked in quantity made up with quality as we spotted another round of
warblers at the base of the tower including; Wilson's Warblers, Northern
Waterthrush, and Chestnut-sided Warblers. We also counted many Warbling and
Red-eyed Vireos, a Philadelphia, and Yellow-throated Vireo.
A few Solitary and Spotted Sandpipers flew over the marsh and we counted
our first Bonaparte's Gulls of the season. Our marsh highlight came from
the passing of a Common Loon flying to the East in the mid-morning.
Purple Martins made a strong showing today, and a dozen Chimney Swifts
could be seen mixed in the flocks of swallows.
And finally at the last minute of the count, a Common Nighthawk popped up
from behind the trees and bounced in the sky. A lovely sight to end the
day!
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73321340

Predictions:
I'm afraid that if I write this down, I will jinx it...but we are expecting
a full day of North-Eastern winds tomorrow! However, there is rain in the
forecast in the morning with the potential risk of a thunderstorm. We hope
the storm rolls in during the night and clears up by morning to give
raptors a chance to move towards the tower.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5fdbd00c5054dc9c86f68c9e1a171130...>