Date: 9/7/20 8:49 am
From: Don Henise <kiskadee3...>
Subject: [obol] Re: flycatcher recordings
Darrel,I have not seen any responses on the list to your question, but yes I hear a distinct difference in those calls and yes the two species can definitely be separated in the field by call.Robyn and I lived in southern Michigan from 1989 until July of 2019 and regularly had both species as breeders in our home county of Jackson, MI. In fact there were a few locations where one could hear both species simultaneously. Separating the two could be confusing for new or inexperienced birders or for those with hearing challenges, but with practice and patience the difference becomes obvious.I always say that Willow Flycatcher has an emphatic two note call while Alder has a lazier sounding down-slured 3 note call. Some folks have difficulty hearing 3 notes. Sometimes and especially at a distance the 1st note can be soft. The 3rd note is short and slurred at the end of the 2nd note and gives some people difficulty.Best,Don HeniseMyrtle Point, <ORkiskadee3...>
-------- Original message --------From: Darrel Faxon <t4c1x...> Date: 9/6/20 8:53 AM (GMT-08:00) To: obol <obol...> Subject: [obol] flycatcher recordings I wonder if I am just hearing things. If anybody has the time, please listen to the following recordings from the Cornell all about birds site: Calls of Alder Flycatcher from Alaska, by Michael Anderson on June 28, 2006 and Willow Flycatcher from Oregon by Randolph Little on June 31, 1997. To me they sound nearly identical. The calls of Willow, particularly the first and last ones on the recording, have the same burry "rrrr" at the beginning as that of the calls of the Alder. Does anyone else get the same impression? It makes me wonder if the species are even safely distinguished by call.Darrel

Join us on Facebook!