Date: 9/6/20 6:15 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (06 Sep 2020) 18 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 18 65 65

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on HawkCount.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs. If you do
decide to join us in person, please help the counter and volunteers to
follow their mandated safety protocols by refraining from approaching them.
Please follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by wearing a mask and
maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in advance for your
cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
A dull day throughout, with gray clouds taking the luster off the holiday
weekend; we watched a progression of cloud formations gradually darken the
day until we called it a little early due to rain. We had watched
impressive cumulus clouds build up over the lake and move inland as an
early SE wind seemed to push them from their normal post over the south
shore of Lake Erie. At times the sky resembled the inverted furrows of a
recently plowed field but it settled on a dark thick cloud mass that must
have been turning on a few lights controlled by photocells. The barometer
had been forecast to fall during the day but it was only by a tenth of an
inch by the time we left. The winds settled in the south and stayed there
although in our sheltered area it was not felt by the observers.

Raptor Observations:
We were seeing some fits and starts of movement today but nothing of real
substance. Harriers were the first out of the blocks, counting as our first
two birds and totaling four by day’s end. Kestrels continue to fly with
five counted. Only one sharp-shinned was noted, somehow it seems that we
should have had a few more by now, but it is still early. Three bald eagles
pumped their way through. One osprey joined them. One broad-winged hawk
made the trip acting as a scout for the thousands to hopefully come later
this month.

Non-raptor Observations:
We did observe two Forster’s terns today. We usually see these birds as
constant companions so it’s a little unusual to see them in such low
numbers. Our blue-winged teals landed in front of us today, until they
realized their mistake. An Eastern phoebe sat close by for a couple of
minutes. Plenty of martins and swallows continue to work the area although
a little further away today. Yellowlegs were seen again today. Occasional
great blue herons and great egrets continue to fly over the area.

Predictions:
The turbulent conditions that make weather predictions so difficult will
continue tomorrow with early a.m. rains predicted and a low barometer in
the morning. A lot of the predicted happenings are off by a few hours and
that can make a difference in bird movement. Most of the extreme wind and
weather conditions should occur overnight but the afternoon conditions of
rising barometer and a westerly wind moving to NW late in the evening may
provoke some movement.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<b476eeab0bc1c68735e1386bc553888e...>