Date: 9/6/20 4:19 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (06 Sep 2020) 14 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 14 81 81

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Bob Hall-Brooks, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Noel Herdman

Visitors:
Thank you to Noel Herdman and Bob Hall-Brooks for their help counting.
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
A cooler day on the tower with a full cloud cover for most of the day.
These clouds did bring us a drizzle of rain in the afternoon only lasting
45 minutes. For the first two hours of the count, winds blew from the North
only to swing around to the East and the South by the end of the day. We
are still waiting for the days of consistent Northern winds.

Raptor Observations:
Quite the lazy Sunday on the tower with only 14 raptors flying over. For 30
minutes in the morning we had a small frenzy of 6 American Kestrels coming
quickly one after the other. After that, the rest of the Kestrels migrated
hours apart. A Cooper's Hawk was our last migrant of the day, and flew West
after a small disagreement with the local Peregrine Falcon.

Non-raptor Observations:
Though we wish for daytime Northern winds, the North winds from last night
pushed many warblers to the base of the tower. We counted 17 species of
warblers included but not limited to; Northern Waterthrush, Prothonotary
Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler,
Blackpoll Warbler, Pine Warbler, and Wilson's Warbler. Vireos also wandered
through including Yellow-throated vireos and Philadelphia vireos.
On the marsh we spotted a few Common Gallinules, Blue-winged Teals, and
Spotted Sandpipers.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73277184

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a warm and muggy day with a chance of showers in
the morning. The winds are expected to blow from the South-West and West
later in the day. Given the slower start to the season, we are simply
hoping for few raptors. Maybe we'll count 20 tomorrow, fingers crossed!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5d3d3ae77a0c6702f957289c1dbb4693...>