Date: 9/6/20 1:36 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: vulture question
About 20 years ago I was northbound on hwy 205 between Roaring Springs and Frenchglen and a couple of vultures were enjoying something in the road. To my astonishment one of them did not fly til the last minute and as I braked it took off carrying a mid-size snake in its feet. It misjudged the calculation of lift and time and the snake carcass slapped into the upper edge of the windshield, leaving a bunch of yellow slime.

This is the only time I have seen a TV lift something in its feet.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Sep 6, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...> wrote:
>
> Turkey Vultures don’t often carry food but they can and when they do it is always carried in the beak. Unlike most raptors, Turkey Vultures don’t have long, sharp talons and their feet are too weak to grip around prey. They can hold a carcass on the ground with their feet and leverage against it to tear away a chunk of flesh as needed with the beak, but the feet can only hold in this fashion and are not used to tear of pieces to eat or carry away any food item.
>
> Dan Gleason
> Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
> Ornithology Instructor, retired, University of Oregon
> <dan-gleason...>
>

>>> On Sep 6, 2020, at 8:09 AM, larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>>>

>> As a matter of fact, l flushed a vulture from pavement somewhere this week and it took a modest piece of roadkill with it. I guess it was the road trending north on the west side of Ankeny NWR. Gopher-sized object, way bigger than vole, so l thought it noteworthy.
>>

>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!