Date: 9/6/20 12:33 pm
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: vulture question
Turkey Vultures don’t often carry food but they can and when they do it is always carried in the beak. Unlike most raptors, Turkey Vultures don’t have long, sharp talons and their feet are too weak to grip around prey. They can hold a carcass on the ground with their feet and leverage against it to tear away a chunk of flesh as needed with the beak, but the feet can only hold in this fashion and are not used to tear of pieces to eat or carry away any food item.

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, retired, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>

> On Sep 6, 2020, at 8:09 AM, larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>

> As a matter of fact, l flushed a vulture from pavement somewhere this week and it took a modest piece of roadkill with it. I guess it was the road trending north on the west side of Ankeny NWR. Gopher-sized object, way bigger than vole, so l thought it noteworthy.

Join us on Facebook!