Date: 9/6/20 7:47 am
From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Travis County's First Red Phalarope - McClendon notes
TexBirders,

On behalf of Travis Audubon and Texas Ornithological Society, I am currently the custodian of the personal bird records of Mary Ann McClendon, one of the best records keepers in the history of TAS through the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Two pieces in this collection address Travis County’s first Red Phalarope:

(1) Mary Ann maintained a long series of 3x5 notecards by individual bird species on which she made hand-written notes of her own sightings and other interesting records. The two cards for Red Phalarope are transcribed below. Note: “Platt’s” refers to Hornsby Bend Wastewater Treatment Facility; “Walenta’s” refers to the former Williamson Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility in south Austin, now part of the Jimmy Clay Golf Course. You’ll note that she mentions an apparent photo (by whom?) in the Texas Photo Record File at TAMU:
- - - - -
Phalarope; Red
- - - - -
1st report* Sept. 16, 1963 @ Platt’s ponds. Caught by John Rowlett & identified by Edgar Kincaid.
* In A&M’s Bird Photo Record File (see list in T.O.S. - March 1980)
- - - - -
Sept. 13, 1975 - Report. (I did not see.)
- - - - -
1 Red at Platt’s - 3rd week of Sept. 1975. I saw it Sept. 23.
- - - - -
I identified one @ Walenta’s Sept. 9, 1974. Andrew Stewart said it was a Northern.
- - - - -
A Red Phalarope was at Platt’s for at least a week. I saw it Sept. 23, 1975.
- - - - -
One Red Phalarope was seen at Mitchell Lake (San Antonio Sewage disposal lake) Nov. 18, 1975.
- - - - -
Sept. 25, 1965 - I saw 1 fem @ Platt’s again on Sept. 27, 1965.
[Ed. Note: This entry is out of sequence and may refer to 1975. ???]
- - - - -
One collected by Terry Maxwell at San Angelo, Oct. 9, 1976.
- - - - -
Oct. 11, 1969 - I saw 1 (larger than Northern) at Platt’s.
- - - - -
Sept. 19, 1973 - I saw 1 with B. Ribble, Bob Hill, Rhea Williams, Ed Kutac, Rose Ann Rowlett, & Susan [sic] Winkler at Platt’s.
- - - - -
Oct. 5, 1976 - Nila Copeland & I saw one at Platt’s.
- - - - -

(2) Mary Ann also compiled type-written chronological notes of her own daily birding highlights. For Sept. 16, 1963 (not “Sept. 15”), she lists:
“Red phalerope, Northern phalerope, Ruddy turnstone; [at] Sewer (Platt’s), [with] Poncho/ John R.”
[“Poncho” = Frank Oatman; “John R.” = John Rowlett]

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner