Date: 9/5/20 1:43 pm
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Big morning at Wheaton Regional Park 9/5
Hi all,

I haven‘t posted much recently but today was an outstanding migration day so deserved some special mention. Birdcast lit up last night for our area and everyone’s high expectations were fulfilled. Activity started early- earlier than we arrived in fact - and continued for several hours. Initially the birds were frustratingly active, darting and flying high in the trees, but eventually settled enough for the many birders present to enjoy.

Looking at everyone’s eBird lists, it appears 20 species of warbler were recorded - we saw 14 well and I very briefly glimpsed a Golden-winged found by Nathan Tea. Most abundant for us were Black-and-White, Magnolia, Redstart, Chestnut-sided and Yellowthroat as well as multiple Blackburnian, Black-throated Blue, Canada and Blue-wing. Less abundant species recorded by us included Nashville, BT Green, Tennessee, Parula, and Blackpoll. Other birders ticked Bay-breasted, Cape May, Prairie, Palm and Pine.

Other good birds seen (not all by us) included Summer Tanager, Yellow-throated and Philadelphia Vireo, as well as (hopefully) harbingers of northern visitors to come - Purple Finch and Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Anyway, a day to remember...

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad