Date: 9/5/20 11:56 am
From: linda phelan thompson <lindaphelanlmt...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Today is International Vulture Awareness Day!
Dear Obolers,
I'm guessing our members heard about the team who
went in and found, Iniko, the 4 month old Condor chick alive and well a few
days ago after the hot fire that went through the Big Sur region. The fire
continues to burn, and while the fate of all the Condors is not known, one
other mother Condor, GPS outfitted, has been shown to be making repeated
trips to her nest area, so that chick is assumed to be alive, also. The
fire at Iniko's nest burned with 10' of it's nest. One cannot imagine the
heat and horror of that fire passing. Another Condor chick, on a rocky
ledge, was retrieved this week, as the fire was heading straight for it.
The chick rescued from the ledge was said to be taken to LA, where it will
be kept for a year, until it is released into the wild. The Ventana Condor
program is one of the places the condors raised at our own Oregon Zoo are
released.

Happy Birding All, Linda, Fanno Creek.