Date: 9/5/20 10:47 am
From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: the story of Travis County's first Red Phalarope
We have pondered over that story for years, I can't fathom it. There was
no digester then. Sewage came in right out of the pipe. ..The good stuff.
......... Related story to that....I was birding out there with Greg
Lasley once before the Dillo Dirt concrete contaminants and we discovered a
nesting Black-neck Stilt. Greg wanted to photograph it as it was the first
nesting record for Travis county..(?) The nest was well out from the
earthen berm. The surface looked sturdy enough, dry, cracked, and even
supporting scattered vegetation, so he took off after the nest but before
long that's surface gave way and he was thigh-deep in black sludge the
consistency of pudding. Greg is never one to shy away from an adventure
and I hope he does not mind me telling this.........Then there was the guy
one weekend in a tractor that rn out of gas in the middle of deep sludge
and could not get back to shore...This was before cell phone and he had sat
out there all day hoping he could flag someone down....That's another story
though.. Then the "It's a dirty job but someone has to do it" guy....It
is amazing how many people have purposely entered that realm of sludge.

--

Brush Freeman
<http://www.biospatialsevices.com>

Join us on Facebook!