Date: 9/5/20 9:48 am
From: Wayne Weber <contopus...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Subspecies- on eBird, or anywhere
Mike and Oregon Birders,

I agree with your position on subspecies. eBird lists all kinds of subspecies and "subspecies groups", which can be used by those birders who choose to do so. Yes, most of these categories are identifiable in the field by skilled, experienced birders, but sometimes only under ideal conditions. Most people who use eBird are relatively inexperienced birders, who do not have the skills needed to identify most subspecies. I myself rarely identify birds to subspecies when reporting to eBird, with a few exceptions such as Thayer's Gull and Myrtle versus Audubon's Warblers. Most of the subspecies ID's reported to eBird cannot be trusted. I personally discourage anyone I know from reporting subspecies to eBird. As Lars and David point out, it can be tough enough to identify some birds to species correctly.

However, please leave the Northwestern Crow out of this discussion. In British Columbia, Northwestern and American Crows behave almost like distinct species, with separate ranges, and only a narrow zone of hybridization/overlap along the crest of the Coast Mountains. The two forms have very different calls, and don't even come close to overlapping in size. (Most Oregon birders have never or rarely visited British Columbia, so are not qualified to speak on the situation here.) The problem is that in much of western Washington, the two forms hybridize so freely that all individuals are intermediate, and can't really be identified as either. This is a special case (although not unique in the bird world) which has little to do with the subject of subspecies identification in general.

All the best,

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC, Canada
<contopus...>