Date: 9/5/20 4:22 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Subspecies- on eBird, or anywhere
Most of us struggle to ID dowitchers to species, especially silent ones.   Putting a subspecies option on the list strikes me as severe over-reaching. How many volunteer reviewers can split that hair?      But how many subscribers to this list are regular eBird users? I would guess less than half, maybe only 20%. Likewise how many eBird users active in Oregon subscribe to Obol? Surely less than half. I increasingly despair of the utility of trying to fine tune eBird via Obol. I suspect the primary outcome of any such discussion is to discourage many non-eBird users from participating.      I have heard rumours of an eBird facebook page. Participation in fb is problematic in and of itself, and how many eBird users are going to that page anyway? Ebird seems to have a great many left hands. No offense intended to sinister readers, eBird has a lot of right hands too. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!