Date: 9/4/20 6:27 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (04 Sep 2020) 26 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 1 1 1

Total: 26 59 59

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to all the visitors who had quick conversations with counters
from the base of the tower. We thank you for your understanding of the
three-person limitation of the tower at this moment. Stay safe everyone!

Weather:
Incredibly pleasant weather on the tower today, the type that we all wish
we could have during the entire count. Winds blew from the West all day,
keeping the clouds at bay, and leaving us to work with a clear blue sky.

Raptor Observations:
The American Kestrel was our main flyer today, coming in at 21 migrants. A
few Northern Harriers made an appearance, including our first male "Gray
Ghost" of the season! As the afternoon wore on, most birds were flying very
high and getting lost in the clear blue sky, particularly non-migrating
Ospreys and Bald Eagles.
Additionally, we were entertained by two Peregrine Falcons chasing each
other and anything that flew too close to them over the marsh.

Non-raptor Observations:
Well the overnight Northern winds expected to bring in passerines did not
deliver, but we spot a few warblers including a Prothonotary Warbler, a
Wilson's Warbler, and a Black-and-White Warbler.
In the morning, continuous flocks of swallows and swifts passed over the
tower and we ended the day with 162 Chimney Swifts! Our other numerous
migrants were Cedar Waxwings (228 individuals), and American Goldfinches
(207 individuals).
The marsh is home to many Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Green Herons,
and today we added the Black-crowned Night-Heron to that list. We are also
counting a flocks of shorebirds, such as Killdeer and Yellowlegs passing
over the water.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73191503

Predictions:
Tomorrow we expecting another pleasant day on the tower, with temperature
in the mid 20 degrees Celsius and winds from the West for most of the day.
We are hoping to see more American Kestrels and maybe start to see more
Accipiters such as Sharp-shinned Hawks and Cooper's Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<24d7420254fcbdebe1c89cce613ab744...>