Date: 9/4/20 6:26 pm
From: Richard Hoyer <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender birdernaturalist for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: dispersing Acorn Woodpeckers?
Hi Nancy and All,

Thank you for your report – this is very interesting and comes at the perfect time. I was with my WINGS group at the upper gate to Marys Peak the day before yesterday when I missed a fly-by of a bird that my participants described to me. The only thing I could think of was Acorn Woodpecker from their description of the wing tips, and with Mike Patterson's report from Mt Hebo I thought it a definite possibility. Then yesterday morning we saw Acorn Woodpeckers well at Philomath Park, and they thought that was a good match for the wing pattern. I told them let's wait to see if maybe there are more reports from Marys Peak or elsewhere out of habitat in the next days, and I was please to share with them your post. My participants are all very good observers, and I'm now quite comfortable with that as the ID of the bird I completely missed.

Good Birding,

Rich
---
Rich Hoyer
Eugene, Oregon
<birdernaturalist...>

Senior Leader for WINGS
http://wingsbirds.com <http://wingsbirds.com/>

my blog: http://birdernaturalist.blogspot.com <http://birdernaturalist.blogspot.com/>
---

> On Sep 4, 2020, at 3:21 PM, Nancy Stotz <nstotznew...> wrote:
>
> Spent a very pleasant morning on Mary's Peak (Benton County) today, enjoying a spectacular smoke-enhanced sunrise on the drive up. Most surprising bird was an Acorn Woodpecker that I first heard, and then watched cross overhead when I was in the meadow near the cell phone towers on the lower peak (a little below the campground). Using the Species Map function in eBird, I could find only one other record of an Acorn Woodpecker on Mary's Peak, from 1977 (mid-July). On OBOL, there have been recent reports from Portland neighborhood that doesn't normally host them, and on Mt Hebo in the Coast Range in Tillamook County. Perhaps these are dispersing individuals after the breeding season?
>
> Other highlights on the peak included a nice flock of 16 American Pipits and 2 Townsend's Solitaires. Links to 3 full eBird checklists follow.
>
> Nancy Stotz
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S73184243 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S73184243>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S73184557 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S73184557>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S73184671 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S73184671>